Wednesday, January 9, 2013

God is not a genie in a bottle-

This I know to be true, He, the Almighty, is not a genie in a bottle, but we read in the epistle of James today:

"You do not have because you do not ask and when you ask, you ask that you may spend on your own pleasures."

This leaves me with some soul-searching, because as I collapsed in bed last night, I cried out, "God, I know you are not a genie, but please, this child of yours would like to be healed of this sprain."

I would. And, I'm trying to be thankful rather than miserable.


  1. I can walk at nearly 3MPH on my treadmill while I work, for about an hour or two. 
  2. I can flip over in bed without too much pain.
  3. I'm down to three ibuprofen one time a day.
  4. I have managed 15 or more miles of walking daily in spite of this.
  5. I walked outside on Sunday, when it was clear that the hip was not going to run.
  6. Watching my son, outside on the grass, somehow greener in January, after the snow melts, shooting his bow and arrow.
  7. Finding my rosemary fresh, despite snow and cold.
  8. Lettuce still green in my planter on the back porch.
  9. A smile on my daughter's face, even after times when I have to play the "cause I'm the mom" card.
  10. That my husband wants to defend me, even in my imperfection.
  11. Warm days in January. I like them, folks, even if I don't ever want to move to warmer climes.
  12. The beautiful anticipation of confession.
  13. Kindred spirits far away, like Mary G.
  14. That old neighbors, like Mary Ann, are okay. Turns out people can mean more to me that I realize, until something scares me. It's humbling to realize the depth of my worry.
  15. The words of Mother Teresa- “People are often unreasonable and self-centered. Forgive them anyway.
    If you are kind, people may accuse you of ulterior motives. Be kind anyway. 
    If you are honest, people may cheat you. Be honest anyway.
    If you find happiness, people may be jealous. Be happy anyway.
    The good you do today may be forgotten tomorrow. Do good anyway.
    Give the world the best you have and it may never be enough. Give your best anyway. 
    For you see, in the end, it is between you and God. It was never between you and them anyway.”  

No comments:

Post a Comment