Monday, January 7, 2013

Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing

This morning, I leaned my head down on the snow-cone machine, pressed its grinder down to make my favorite ice, and let the sunshine stream through the window on my closed eyes. I just sat there. Last night, my mother-in-law was hospitalized for what is called a TIA stroke. It appears this is the second she's had in six or seven months.  In addition to this scary news yesterday, I came home from church to learn from Facebook that my friend  Jeff, whose parents head up World Missionary Press, lost his dad. Jay Benson died twelve days or so after he was taken to the ER with a headache. He had a brain bleed, lost consciousness, fell into a coma, and never came out. The family made the decision, based upon encouraging tests, to try to let him breathe on his own. When the breathing tube came out, they discovered he couldn't. He fell asleep in the Lord.

I am weeping as I type.

So today's list is just being thankful for words that are not mine, and things that sustain.


  1. The hymn, "Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing"-- Come Thou, Fount of Every Blessing. Teach my soul to sing thy praise. Streams of mercy, never ceasing, call for songs of loudest praise.
  2. The Jesus Prayer: Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner.
  3. For Mother Christophora at Holy Transfiguration Monastery, Elwood City PA, reminding the priests' wives, just talk straight to God, even in the bathroom. -- I poured out my supplication before Him; I showed before Him my trouble.
  4. For hot showers, where in quiet, I cry aloud to the Lord. +  I cried unto Thee, O Lord; I said: Thou art my refuge and my portion in the land of the living. Attend unto my cry, for I am brought very low.  Deliver me from my persecutors, for they are stronger than I.
  5. For Sunshine in windows during which I pray:  "Bring my soul out of prison, that I may bless Your Name."
  6. For the Psalmody in Great Vespers, where the enemy is power of darkness over my soul: In the way wherein I walked have they secretly laid a snare for me. I looked on my right hand, and beheld, but there was no man that would know me. Refuge failed me; no one cared for my soul.
  7. ‎"Oh Lord, grant me the strength to bear the fatigue of the coming day with all that it shall bring. Direct my will, teach me to pray, pray You Yourself in me."
  8. Now, the day is falling asleep and a warm dinner with friends is worthy of thanksgiving.
  9. Thanks for boys who love trains and legos.
  10. Richard Foster's The Celebration of Discipline
  11. Wood Burning stoves
  12. Persimmons, frozen, thawed and under some coconut milk
  13. Rosemary, Basil
  14. Books
  15. Batter My Heart, Three Person'd God: 
  • BATTER my heart, three person'd God; for, you 
    As yet but knocke, breathe, shine, and seeke to mend; 
    That I may rise, and stand, o'erthrow mee,'and bend 
    Your force, to breake, blowe, burn and make me new.


No comments:

Post a Comment