Tuesday, January 1, 2013

15 Thanksgivings

All strength is in humility
because pride is fragile.
The humble are like a rock:
The rock seems to lie downward,
but nevertheless it is firm.

St. Augustine of Hippo

My first fifteen thanksgivings are here, though I'm still nursing the miles. My sprain is sore. I'm walking slow today and accomplishing a few tasks before I pinch my nose closed, and dive in the waters of the teacher's spring cycle, starting back up tomorrow. The winter break has been a respite.

I am thankful that
Grandma, Me, then Padre Joel, editing.
  1. The break afforded time to go slower, read several books for fun.
  2. Grandma Reynolds and I finished formatting and laying out her memoir. 
  3. My husband went along with me to Dayton and is helping copy edit.
  4. My husband and I had a 'state-of-the-marriage' talk that felt very healthy.
  5. I antied-up on the realities of the future and began taking healthy steps to be prepared for all outcomes with work.
  6. My daughter started her new job and loved it.
  7. I have finished my first two of ten books for spring semester project in my MFA program.
  8. I have started two other books for it, and read numerous extras, including the Protoevangel of James, parts of St. Maximos the Confessor and Sergei Bulgakov on Mary.
  9. I watched a whole movie without stopping the other day.
  10. I found out recently we can have a doctor in town, in spite of Pennsylvania-based insurance, and I have a working list to call tomorrow, since my son appears to have strep.
  11. I can still walk 15 miles a day.
  12. This treadmills hasn't pooped out yet!
  13. I had tea or wine with at least three women over the break.
  14. I sent two-thirds of my Christmas cards. Now, for the rest...
  15. My daughter, her boyfriend, my husband, even my very sick son, played Quelf together until the wee hours of New Year morn.

Happy Feast of St. Basil the Great, writer of the common liturgy, brother to St. Gregory of Nyssa and St. Macrina, commentator on Scripture and Saint of God. May 2013 be a blessed year for you all.

Pray for me, a sinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment